Friday, December 21, 2007

On Your Marks, Get Set….For the Holiday Race

It’s the season of the traditional Holiday Race, particularly for women business owners. Trying to keep one step ahead of, or at least even with, family responsibilities and running a business. Not that men don’t put in their share of holiday preparations combined with work responsibilities. But, at least in my family and social circles, it is the woman, or women, who have the lion’s share of Christmas planning and executing work. Most men don’t much care whether the Christmas tree is up (In my case, up and running, since my tree tried to run but fell on its face!) or whether grandma’s dressing tastes just the way you remember it.

For me Christmas time has become a crazy mélange of keeping up the Christmas traditions, and trying to help each and every panicky client that waited until the end of the year to dissolve a corporation, or some other crucial shore that could have been taken care of in August!

This year it is even crazier, since I am now the proud grandma of twin girls. My daughter and son-in-law have moved in with us while their house is being remodeled to accommodate the twins. It is hard to spend my time chopping onions when I could be sitting in my living room watching them eat Christmas ornaments! (Not the glass kind, and no lead, thank you very much!) And, as I told you a few days ago, for the first time in my life my Christmas tree fell and I had to re-do the whole thing.

But in spite of all the nuttiness, it is a joyous time. Maybe it is a trick that I am playing on myself, but just when I feel that I cannot do one more chore, I look all around and feel such pleasure and exhilaration at being alive and able to take on all the work that this wonderful season brings. So I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas, and a magical Noche Buena. As for me, back to chopping onions with one hand while I answer my cell phone with the other.

No comments: