Sunday, January 6, 2008

Blogging for Business and Pleasure

You like to read blogs, but would you ever consider writing one? I had never thought about it until a couple of months ago and I find that I am enjoying the experience very much. I used to write a column in Spanish for a local newspaper. The topics and content were very similar to the ones presented here, but I was so busy with my law practice and other responsibilities that I decided to stop.

So what is the difference between writing a blog and writing a column? Why would I have more time to post on my blog? The most obvious reason is that with my blog I have total control of the content and length of each “column” or post. I also have control in publication, since I say when the post appears, as opposed to being moved around, depending on the needs of the newspaper owner. I also don’t have to worry about deadlines.

You may say that writing a column validates your worth as a writer because someone else has decided to accept you as a writer. But posting on your blog is no different, since your readers validate your worth as a writer by reading your posts. When you see your readership increase little by little, it is very satisfying.

But why would a business owner want to spend time starting a blog? There are many reasons why. Many businesses start one to increase their sales and name recognition. Others do it to communicate directly with their clients. They want to share their business philosophy and values, and they find that this is an excellent way to do it. I personally do it because I like to share information as so many have done so with me. Blogging gives me that opportunity.

There are several excellent books on this topic. I gave one to my daughter for Christmas. The name of the book is The IT Girls Guide to Blogging with Moxie by Joelle Reeder and Katherine Scoleri. I hope she will put it to good use. She is an excellent writer, funny and thoughtful. I am sure she can have a terrific Blog, if she ever catches a few minutes to write between feeding, diapering, and chasing after her 9 month-old twin daughters!

1 comment:

Joelle said...

Hi Maria! Thanks so much for picking up our book for your daughter. :) I hope that she enjoys it. We'd welcome her thoughts.

Take care and happy New Year!